Eligibility, Purpose, and Scope
Travel grants are available to undergraduate students who are majors and minors in the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences. Students who are an author on a conference poster or paper presentation are eligible to apply for the travel grant. Preference will be given to students who are presenting research for work completed in a lab at JHU, as part of the students’ degree program (e.g., honors research, research for course credit), or other JHU-related research (e.g., PURA, DURA). These awards are made available so that exceptional students have opportunities to conduct and present research that goes beyond their typical focus and to facilitate collaboration. These awards can be used for hotel accommodations, transportation, membership dues, poster printing costs, and/or conference registration fees. Typical awards range between $50 – 800.
To be considered for funding, award applications must include:
- A completed application form including a detailed budget and budget justification addendum.
- A copy of the abstract that was submitted to the conference (be sure to include the author list).
- A completed endorsement form from the PI of the lab. In cases where the PI is not available, your immediate research supervisor (postdoctoral fellow, research scientist, etc.) may complete the form instead.
In addition, the student must provide:
- A copy of the notification of the acceptance of the presentation. Students are encouraged to apply for funding as soon as they submit the conference proposal. However, disbursement of travel funds is contingent upon the acceptance of the presentation proposal and upon the student attending the conference. Students should submit the acceptance notification as soon as they receive it.
Summer – First Friday of June
Fall – Second Friday of September
Spring – First Friday of February
We encourage students to submit an application as soon as they submit the conference proposal, but at a minimum the application must be received at least one month before the registration deadline for the conference. Retroactive submissions will not be accepted. If a student requires an expedited review, the student should include that request in the email submission.
Please read and understand the following important information regarding the reimbursement process for your travel funding:
- Funds are disbursed as a travel reimbursement, not a travel advance. It is important that you keep all original copies of your receipts for the items that you submitted on your itemized budget which was included in your original application. For expenses purchased with a credit card, the receipt must show that a credit card was charged. If the original receipt is electronic, it may be submitted as long as the receipt shows that the expense was paid in full.
- Students should download and complete the travel checklist and attestation from the resources section of our department website prior to submitting receipts for reimbursement.
- Students who are not already in JHU payroll will be reimbursed as a non-employee. A valid mailing address is required for non-employee reimbursements.
- If you have any questions about the reimbursement process you can contact Rebecca Swisdak at 410-516-7057 or email@example.com.
Applications should be submitted via email to Lisa Auchincloss.